Brian E. McGovern Equity Partner
Brian E. McGovern, is a Partner at McCarthy Leonard & Kaemmerer, L.C. and is the Head of the firms litigation practice. He concentrates his practice in the areas of complex business, employment, and class action litigation. He frequently lectures to professional, corporations and industry organizations on litigation topics. Mr. McGovern dedicates a significant portion of his practice to counseling clients on litigation avoidance by proactively advising clients before the lawsuit is filed.
Mr. McGovern has significant trial experience in business, employment and class action litigation, having tried over 150 cases to conclusion, 50 of which being before a jury. Further, due to the recent judicial trend favoring arbitration, Mr. McGovern has significant experience in litigating claims before arbitrator(s). Regarding appellate work, Mr. McGovern has handled over 50 appeals at the State and Federal levels throughout the United States in both state and federal court. He is continually named a “Super Lawyer” by Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer Magazine, St. Louis Magazine and has been named in the Best Lawyers of America.
Class Action Experience
His class action experience involves defending corporations in a variety of industries against claims brought as class actions. In particular, since the inception of his career Mr. McGovern has developed an expertise in the representation of automobile dealers, including defending consumer fraud claims brought by individuals and as class actions, handling disputes with Manufacturers and responding to inquiries and claims from state and federal government agencies. As lead defense counsel, he successfully decertified one of the largest class actions ever certified in the State of Missouri. In Perry v. Lovegreen, a class was certified that included every automobile dealer and power sports dealer in the state of Missouri. After significant litigation, in state and federal court, the class was decertified, preventing a class with potential exposure in excess of billions of dollars in potential damages.
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- Member, The Missouri Bar, 1987
- Member, Illinois Bar, 1988
- Member, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri; Western District of Michigan; District of Colorado; District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Admitted to practice Pro Hac in: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
- Order of the Barristers
- General Services Board of Contract Appeals
- Corporate Development Board for Make-A-Wish Foundation
University of Missouri-Columbia
- J.D., 1987
Truman State University
- Bachelor of Arts, 1984
- Cum Laude