S. Jay Dobbs Equity Partner
S. Jay Dobbs Equity Partner
Primary Practice Areas
Jay has over 25 years of trial experience representing businesses in complex litigation. Jay has extensive experience in cases involving valuation issues such as business break-ups, shareholder disputes, commercial property tax appeals, and damage modeling. Jay has earned a reputation among clients and peers as a creative, practical problem solver.
Jay joined McCarthy, Leonard & Kaemmerer in February of 2018, having practiced for 19 years at a 700+ attorney firm, Polsinelli. While at Polsinelli, Jay served in many leadership positions including Chair of the Trial Department (2008-2009), Chair of the Commercial and Business Litigation Practice Group, as well as service on the firm’s Board of Directors. Most importantly, Jay has represented businesses in significant regional and national litigation. Jay is pleased to bring his “Am Law 100” experience to McCarthy Leonard Kaemmerer’s culture of providing sophisticated representation at a reasonable cost.
Jay began his career as a business law attorney at Greensfelder Hemker & Gale and served as a law clerk for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
Jay’s litigation and counseling engagements include trials, arbitrations and mediations in virtually every region of the United States. Jay also serves as outside general counsel to closely held companies.
Commercial and Fiduciary Litigation
- Successful representation in dozens of business break-up and shareholder/ member disputes on behalf of both controlling and minority shareholders/ members.
- Jay litigates and counsels clients regarding fiduciary duties of company officers, directors and managing members.
- Representation of a company against a benefits advisory firm in connection with alleged errors in administration of the company’s profit sharing plan.
- Represented directors of a failed bank in litigation brought by FDIC and bank vendors.
Environmental Permitting and Counseling
- Represented limestone quarry operation in vigorously contested permit litigation to obtain 100 year mining permit.
Real Estate Litigation and Commercial Tax Appeals
- Jay has 18 years of representing clients in commercial property tax appeals. Clients include large industrial factories, warehouses, food manufacturing plants, subsidized housing developments, REITS (portfolio of large apartment complexes), shopping malls, strip centers, banks, medical office buildings and a portfolio of factories and office headquarters for the largest global manufacturer of heaving construction equipment.
- Represented banks and underwriters of title insurance in portfolios of mortgage fraud and title defect cases.
- Represented landowner in Illinois when a neighboring land owner blocked access to his only point of entry. Access was restored following lawsuit and settlement included improvements to the roadway and easements.
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions
- Super Lawyers, Missouri and Kansas, 2010 to Present
- Peer Rated AV-Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell 10+ years
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers (MODL) Board of Directors (2007-2013)
- Speaker for NBI Sponsored Seminars on Ethics, Social Media, and Technology
- ABA, MoBar, ISBA, MODL
- Washington University School of Law, J.D. 1991
Washington University Law Quarterly (Law Review), Associate Editor 1990-1991
- DePauw University, B.A. Political Science
- American University – Washington Semester Program
Lobbyist, State of Illinois Governor’s Office
- Missouri, 1991
- Illinois, 1992
- US Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- US District Court, Western District of Missouri
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Central District of Illinois
- US District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
- US District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District
- Missouri Court of Appeals, Western District